I thought about it for a little while, but it wasn't a hard decision -- as I've mentioned before, my goal with the House is to bring it back to excellent condition. It made sense that the pipes needed to be replaced, and a stitch in time saves nine, as they say. I called Rob back and told him to go ahead with the job, and to replace the water heater while he was at it (when I moved into the House over two years ago, the water heater was already four years past its warranty).
I took some photos of the crazy pipe situation in the basement. There was so much extra pipe that didn't seem to need to be there, and I asked Rob to take out any pipes that were leading to nowhere.
|Old water heater|
|Crazy pipe situation over the furnace|
|Pipes that lead to nowhere|
Here are the after shots. The new pipes are PEX (polyethylene). I did agonize over the choice between new copper pipes, and PEX pipes. I looked up PEX online, and I wasn't able to find any talk of polyethylene leaching chemicals into drinking water. Plastic never leaves our environment, but copper mining isn't exactly earth-friendly either, so I let my bank account do the talking. It told me to save the over $1000 more the copper pipes would have cost, and go with the PEX.
|New hot water heater!|
|Somewhat less crazy pipe situation over the furnace|
|Only working pipes left here!|
The remaining copper pipes are those that feed the forced hot water heating system -- those weren't replaced this time around.
Rereading this post, I think it's very possible that only I will find it interesting. If you have read to this point, I thank you for your patience, and I will try to make my next post more relevant to those who...aren't interested in pipes.
Thanks for stopping by, and happy Easter!